Manors (Cule)

  • Manor of Curtişoara, also known as Cornoiu Manor, was built in the first half of the XVIIIth century and was left as inheritance by Radu Pistescu to logofat Cornea from Targu Jiu (1785) together with his entire fortune. Built on three levels, with a well in the basement and shooting windows on each level, it was enough to shelter the entire lord`s family, his close friends, and could stand a longer attack. Throughout time it suffered a few interventions that haven`t altered the initial shape that was reinstated after the restoration in the 60s of the XXth Century.
  • Cioabă-Chintescu Manor from Siacu village, Slivilesti commune, known as Cioaba-Chintescu manor because of its inheritance on the female side, was begun in 1818 by the nobleman Raducan Cioaba. After his death, his wife Zoita remarried Marin Chintescu, who finished the manor in 1822. Same as Grosera Manor, it also has three levels and it was used first as watch tower, for refuge and defense.
  • Crăsnaru Manor, from the village Groşerea, commune Aninoasa, built in the second half of the XVIIIth Century, it belonged to Costache Savoi called Surcel and to his wife Ecaterina, born Frumusanu and then given as dowry to their daughter Elena when she married Achil Crasnaru. The building has three levels, the last one, on the South side having a veranda and the East and North sides a balcony. It is the type of manor usually used for watch and defense, but then the needs changes and the construction along with them. The building had a few interventions and restorations in time, in 1801 a turkish attach leading to its arsen, and in 1898 being affected by a powerful earthquake. The restoration performed by the Historic Monuments Direction in 1966 keeps its original shape.
  • Manor-house of Glogova, located on the left side of Motru river was built in several stages by Necula Glogoveanu (XVIIth Century) who used an old basement as a base then by Matei and Ionita Glogoveanu (XVIIIth Century), at the same time as the building of church of „Saint Nicholas”. The legend mentions some underground passage ways that connected the manor and the church nearby and other that connected the manor to a clearing near the river Motru, passage ways that were to be used in case of a seige.