Monuments

Gorj County is te proud home of a few exceptionally valuable items both artistically and historically:

– city of Târgu Jiu: sculptural ensemble of C. Brâncuşi (Table of Silence, Chairs Pathway, Kissing Gate, Endless Column) created between 1837-1838, and still in process of being restored; Ecaterina Teodoroiu Mausoleum, 1935, sculpted by Luminita Patrascu; Tudor Vladimirescu monument, 1898; the bridge over Jiu river, with parts built in France (1894-1895), now moved approximately 500 metres upriver on Jiu river; Samboteanu fountain cen. XVIII; old Polish solar clock, in the civic center, 1840;

– Padeş (comm. Padeş): the monument of Tudor Vladimirescu`s Proclamation of 1821, created in 1921 by architect S. Balosin;

– Schela (comm. Schela): monument in honour of Mihai Viteazu;

– Sâmbotin (comm. Schela): monument for the army general I. Dragalina, fallen on duty in Jiu Gorges during the First World War.

Ecaterina Teodoroiu`s mausoleum is located in middle of Victoria Squar, in front of the Prefect Hall and the „Sfintii Voievozi” church and completes the spiritually and history charged surroundings of this square. Built in 1935 on the initiative of Women League of Gorj, the mausoleum is a sarcofagus placed on a three steps base of white stone, and is the creation of artist Milita Patrascu, student of the great Constantin Brancusi. The monument pictures in its bas-reliefs a few moments from the life of the hero: on the South side there is a representation of her childhood in the village she was born; on the opposite side she is in a mdealion, saluted by the scouts she was part of when in secondary school; the other two faces show her in combat, charging with her plutoon and the final moment when she is carried by soldiers` hands to her resting ground. The four corners are guarded by four women dressed in national garments each holding a crown of laurels. This is also the place where the heroine`s remains are kept, being brought from Moldova and re-burried in the Gorj of her birth in June 1921.